Translate This Blog

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Idle Idol Worship

Do you ever think about the people you "idolized" before you came to Christ? Do you remember why it is that you did consider yourself a fan of those people?

I was music crazy for a long time. My favorite performers were the same as anyone growing up when I did: most Motown artists, especially The Jackson 5, and then, of course, Michael; my rock/pop faves were INXS, Prince, Earth, Wind and Fire; and I had my collections of James Taylor.

When I did stop focusing on music for the sake of entertaining my emotions or living and loving vicariously through the medium, I still thought about the entertainers.

Can you remember being a "teeny bopper" and deciding that you just had to somehow, someday meet your favorite singer? I do. I recall plotting on how I'd somehow get backstage at a concert and get to finally see one of my idols up close. It was different with Michael Jackson. I wasn't just going to meet him; we were going to be married and I had the wedding all planned out.

Now that I am past all those things of my physical and spiritual youth, I have to shake my head when I think back on it. Those entertainers - complete strangers to me, basically - had a huge impact on my life. I tried to emulate them in dress and attitude. I looked up to them in a way. I would have loved to have been included in their lives. I was a true fan - or fanatic.

If those strangers that I only knew via their songs and performances (and published gossip) impacted my life when I was part of the world, why am I not returning the favor now that I am saved?

I always wonder if Christians ever happen to meet one of their former idols and, if they do, do they share the Gospel with them.

It makes me very sad to think that people who amass millions of "fans" who love and adore them, often end up alone and sad and in despair.

  • Michael Hutchence - singer for INXS who lived a full and fast life with lots of fans and lots of lovers. Died alone in a hotel room, hung from the door with a belt. 
  • Marvin Gaye - Iconically famous and talented. Depressed and out of control at the end of his life.
  • Amy Winehouse - talented and fragile, and alone at the end of her life.
  • Steve Clarke - Guitarist with Def Leppard, died alcoholic and, apparently, helpless and hopeless.
  • Whitney Houston - her story and that of her daughter's is still so new and tragic I don't have to say anything.
The list goes on and on. 

These are people who proved that having everything and anything that the world can give is never enough to fulfill the soul.

How many fans did these people have? How many people all over the world claimed to "love" them? How many autographs did they sign? How many fans were lucky enough to get a photograph snapped with them? Hundreds or thousands?

Couldn't one person who got close enough to get a photo or autograph just mention God's love?

I don't know about the religious upbringing of the others, but Gaye and Houston were raised in church and heard the Gospel. But maybe someone could have reminded them of God's love just one more time.

Maybe none of it would have made a difference, but it would be nice to know that someone tried.

Maybe the next time you are on a social networking site and see one of your former idols you can share a Bible verse with them.

Peace
--Free

No comments: