Translate This Blog

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Photoshopping the Word of God

As a Christian, I benefit from fellowship with other Christians. While I believe that all Christians continue to grow in faith and behavior, some of us are more "mature" than others. I have especially appreciated the ministries of a few apologists.

I didn't even know what Christian apologetics was when I first read "The Screwtape Letters" by  C.S. Lewis, but it had an impact on how I viewed myself as a member of society. Years later, I discovered the late Dr. Walter Martin. His videos are still available on YouTube.

One thing I have learned as a Christian is that God's word does not conform to people for their acceptance, we have to accept (or reject) the Gospel as it is. We can study it, for clarification and life application, but we cannot change it. We are supposed to allow it to change us.



I know all that but, sometimes, I hear a message from a more mature follower or Christ that hammers it home. Of course, it's important to study the Bible for yourself, and I do. I just appreciate when someone stands up and teaches on how Scripture applies to contemporary situations.

This is a video I ran across while looking through a list of videos suggested for me. Some people might be inclined to tune out, because he's addressing the issue of but it's at mark 17:24 that the young man said something that really resonated with me.

It's at this point that he points out a couple of very valid points that I had never thought about before:

  • When we evangelize to others, we need to make sure that we are ourselves conformed to Jesus's teachings. Otherwise, we bring in people based on our perspectives of what is holy and right.
  • When we evangelize people into a life of holiness using the things of the world, we are polluting the message. For instance, certain music and other entertainment and lifestyle choices are or the world and should not be used to evangelize. Hip Hop is from the world, just like being a stripper or drug abuser is of the world. So, how can you use "holy" Hip Hop to bring people to the Word? Or have "holy" strippers evangelizing? 
As I listened to these points, I was asking myself why is it that the Gospel - as it is, unadorned - not enough? And, if it's not enough for someone, then it's just not enough for them. We shouldn't have to put makeup on the Gospel to make it pretty or acceptable to people. If we did, that would be a sort of trickery.


You know what it reminds me of? When you meet someone certain people you  think you'd like to be friends with (or date) because they initially seem to be decent. It could be that they have a nice personality. Maybe they just seem to be someone you can see fitting well in your life. Then, once you spend time with them, you see that they aren't really as nice as they initially seemed to be. They end up being someone you can spend time with occasionally, but they aren't someone you could have a long-term relationship with.

If we change to Gospel, there is no need for us to change. To present it to people any other way is just lying to them and giving them a photoshopped Gospel.

Since the video was addressing music, and we all love music, I like to think about some of the concerns many Christians have about using secular media and other avenues to promote Christian music. What I come up with from hearing different viewpoints is that it's all about intention.
(source)
  • Is the music to praise God or to promote one's own talents and abilities?
  • Is the main concern to make money, have fame, win awards - or to spread the Gospel and encourage and uplift people?
  • If it's about God, why any concern about looking good for the world (on album covers and in magazines)?
  • If it's about being holy, why present it as sexy, exciting and everything else that secular artists promote?
  • If the megachurches have so much money, why not produce and promote the Christian music from within - without secular influence and resources?
I've heard these concerns from various other Christians and their pastors and teachers. I've never yet heard a response from an artist that admits the concerns are valid. I think I think that's because a lot of those artists are like me when it comes to struggling with nonconformity. 

Sin is basically rebellion and rebellion is always a struggle.
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. (Romans 12:2)
This is a tough one for me sometimes because I will try to excuse my behavior instead of changing it. When I recently started back smoking (I know, I know!), and someone pointed out to me that I was going back to old habits, I was ready with a response: "God has saved me and loves me and nothing will separate me from His love - not even these nasty cigarettes."  That's all true, but it doesn't make my smoking okay.

I am supposed to be caring for and grateful for this body that God gave me. Yes, He loves me and is not going to turn His back on me because of this smoking habit I've returned to, but I'm not honoring Him with the habit. Smoking is bad for my health and, if I got sick because of it right now, I'd be crying out to God for help.

Just so you know, I am working on quitting again and have set a quit date. After all, I don't want to be that person witnessing to someone when I am struggling so hard with such a bad habit. What am I supposed to say if they think that, since I smoke,  their drug use is okay? That's extreme, but you see what I mean.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this video with you guys. It was a blessing to me, and I hope it is for you also.

Peace

No comments: