Translate This Blog

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Purge the Negative, Renew the Positive

Every now and then, I backslide into some of my old habits and sins. So, every now and then, I have to examine my life and my heart, then purge some things.

Some Christians I know don't attend church that often or even read their Bible. There was a time that I didn't read my Bible unless I was looking for some specific chapter or verse. About 12 years or so ago, I did read the Bible straight through, but that was more about proving to myself that I could do it. Actually, I'm not sure now exactly why I did it.

In the past few years, I have been reading my Bible more. For about 3 months or so now, I've been reading the Bible very regularly. I've also been attending church almost every week since my sister Mike died.

Guess what? The more I study the Bible and listen to my pastor, the more grateful I am for my salvation. I think more about my behavior and my life and how I can grow in both.
(source)


So, I've been purging more lately. Giving up things in my behavior that don't benefit me in any positive way. Swapping out some of the time I spend doing idle and useless things so that I have that time to pray or just reflect on my blessings.

One of the benefits of a purge I did some years back is that I have learned to occasionally sit and be still and quiet. That doesn't sound like a big deal but it is. With all of the distractions that have crept into my life, I had gotten very good at drowning out my own thoughts. More important, I had stopped being able to hear God's voice.

(source)
I look around at people I know and love and realize how busy they are with their phones, TV, music and chatter. One of the people in my life is going through a lot of emotional turmoil and I can almost feel her aching for peace and resolution. The other day, as I was thinking about her and praying for her, I realized that she is doing what so many of us do: looking for peace while, at the same time, drowning in noise. If she's not watching TV, she is focused on her phone. She has to be talking and chattering or being entertained. And all she wants, I believe, is for some peace in her own soul. I truly have come to believe that she is actually running from peace and running from God.


Is this noise and chatter that we are drowning in brilliant or what? Their are many weapons in the war to keep people from seeking God or, even when they find Him, from focusing on Him.

I believe that one of the most powerful weapons being used today is noise. Useless, idle, constant and always-there noise. And not just noise of sound, but noise of every one of our senses. We are assaulted by music, television, gaming, gossiping, partying, going, doing, being, moving, and on and on and on.

It's so hard for us to just sit still and be quiet. So hard for us to hear our own thoughts, let alone the voice of God.

This time for my purging I am going through my social networks. I'm examining who and what I follow on these networks. I need to cut out some of the negative and non-beneficial stuff and reach out to more like-minded people and projects. I've been looking at some of the things I've encouraged (by 'liking' or 'plussing') or re-shared.

My social networks are a great way to communicate with other people - regardless of what their faith and beliefs are - but I don't want my time spent on the networks to be idle or useless. While I don't shove my beliefs down anyone's throat, I like mutual respect.

Some of the people I "associate" with online don't always bring out the best in me. I'm trying to clean up my language, so I don't want to deal with a lot of foul language - especially from other Christians. Not that I criticize where they are in their 'walk', but I'm just in a different place in mine. I'd like to think that we encourage each other to do and be better each day, not just go through life without maturing.
(source)

Time to purge the useless junk and renew the good stuff.

Peace

No comments: