Translate This Blog

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Television: Living by Remote?

Before I launch into my experiences and observations about television - or just "entertainment" in general, I want to pose some questions for any of you:

  • Do you feel that you could (or should) spend less time watching TV?
  • Have you ever (or would you ever) participate in the annual Screen-Free Week?
  • Could you give up most of your time spent watching TV ever?
  • What would you spend the extra time on?
  • If you don't think you could give up TV for any prolonged time period, why not?
  • How do you feel about that?
  • If not TV, what do you think you might spend too much free time on?
The idea for this post came up when I was talking with an acquaintance last night and the subject of prayer came up. Actually, we were talking about the nice new "smart" TV that another person had just bought and I mentioned that I haven't owned any kind of a television for a couple of years. 


The person I was talking with was surprised at this fact. She said that she has a television in almost every room of her house and she wondered why I gave up owning a set. I explained that I originally stopped watching the TVs I had owned because I'd had to start working two jobs. The television habit was such a time suck and distraction that, the only way I could keep on top of my work (one job was done from a home office) was to give up TV. I barely had time to sleep, and any free time that I did have, I wanted to use to spend time with my sister and niece. Sometimes, I just needed the time to do nothing and let my brain rest.

After several months of watching TV on a very limited basis, I just lost interest in it. There were times that I'd catch a bit of a show that someone else was watching, and I had some fascination with one or two shows that I might tune into every now and then. When I moved back to Alaska and wasn't having to work two jobs just to survive, I had gotten more into reading and doing things online than watching television. Actually, I could still catch up on what was going on with a few shows via YouTube and Hulu.

When I got sick, I started back watching movies and television shows - even though I did so mostly via Hulu and Netflix. Once I moved in with a roommate, I didn't even bother hooking up a little TV set I'd gotten during a Black Friday sale. I ended up giving it to my roommate for her bedroom because she was a constant TV watcher. I had my Hulu and I even signed up for a Netflix DVD account. I wasn't watching as much as my roommate, but I was back to spending hours just having shows playing in the background throughout my entire day. I couldn't even go to sleep without having a show or movie playing on my computer.

This is how rested my brain felt the morning after

At some point, I decided I was going to have to be more proactive about getting my health back. I started getting up and out of the house more on the days I could manage that. When I was in the house, I spent more time doing some modified forms of exercise. I just realized how awful I felt when I sat around just watching a bunch of television.

Once I really gave it some thought, I realized that most television (and movies) are made to make us feel less than what we are. I was always comparing every aspect of my life to that of the people portrayed. According to most of what I saw on the stuff I saw on these shows, I wasn't any kind of "enough" (smart, pretty, rich, thin, ambitious, lucky, confident, quirky, romantically experienced, etc.). The only thing I was getting out of all that gawking at the shows was the idea that I had no right to be happy with any part of myself or my own precious life.

Basically, television was killing my spirit.

Probably most people who use the internet have heard the story about television coming into a home as a "stranger". The story has been spread around so much that there are different names for it, but I found this one called "The Visitor". (I chose this one because it seems to have been updated to reflect modern issues.)

Of course, it's easy to find info on some of the consequences of watching too much TV, but keep in mind that most warnings are about watching too much TV. I actually found that, unless I choose very carefully what I watch, I am not made better by watching any amount of TV. Everybody is different though.

Anyway, other than killing any human self-worth I have (though self-worth is not my ultimate goal), I noticed that television was also taking away from more important things in my life. I'm not talking just about work and time with people, but about my time honoring God.

Now, I didn't start praying more or spending more time with my Bible when I first cut out so much television. I always have put aside a little bit of time for that "stuff" but, lately, when I've had to lean so much more on my faith and God-given hope, I'm making more time.

My motives are not completely unselfish. I get something more when I do read my Bible and study it. I get something when I pray, even if that "something" is not always the answer I want when praying for a specific thing. I get something when I shut out the noise of media and the internet.

What I get when I honor God with my time and full attention is a kind of peace. Not only that, but I usually get a renewal of spirit when it's been worn down by all the clamor of life around me.

My doctor once suggested meditation when I was first learning to deal with the stress of my disease. I regret now that I didn't tell him that my time spent with God can't compare with what he told me meditation would do.

I'm not doubting that meditation works for some people. I'm sure it does, but it's not for me for two reasons:

  1. It's either dependent on my own ability or power to renew my mind and spirit, or
  2. It's dependent on some other power greater than my own that I want nothing to do with.
I discovered long ago that my own power is puny, which is one of the reasons I prefer to give my life and all that it is to the One who has saved me. I also know from talking with other people (who know) that there are other gods and greater-than-mortal spirits that have power of a sort. I want nothing to do with those other gods and spirits.

Anyway, where time spent with television does nothing other than offer short-term entertainment (and long-term, possibly damaging, effects on me), I have access to the Throne of God. For no cost. And He takes me just as I am. He doesn't care about how "enough" I am or not. I'm broken enough to be made perfect by His love.

No matter your reasons (or religious beliefs), here are some resources you might find interesting
I've subdued my TV habit, now it's time to curb some of my internet use. In the meantime, maybe I can buy old TV sets to turn into something truly relaxing...


Peace-
Free

No comments: