Translate This Blog

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Christians and Oath-taking

Why do Christians sign up as members of organizations that require oaths? Why do they sign up with anything that is cloaked in secrecy and rituals? We don't even have to follow rituals to worship God now that Jesus has replaced all other sacrifices.

So... why? It's something I think about every time I see a church full of members hatted and suited up for participating in anything where God is not the primary and only focus?

By the way, I'm not just thinking of the Freemasons, but they (and the Eastern Star members) do come first to my mind.

The subject of Christians joining Masonic orders is a very troubling one for me personally. My father joined the Masons when I was a young girl. The pastor of the church I grew up in was a Mason, as were several of the men in that church congregation. Many of the women were members of the Eastern Star.

As a child, I was never bothered because I had no idea who the Masons were or what they believed. I do know that my father was forever changed once he became a member. Still, I was only a churchgoer and not a Christian myself.

Now that I am an adult and a Christian, I just weep for the men and women who profess to be followers of Christ but also take oaths to these orders.

What I wonder is, are they just ignorant of what the Word of God teaches - or are they willfully defiant? I suppose there are some of each.

For anyone who doesn't question their involvement with the Masons - or taking an oath to any "higher power" other than the God of the Bible - I wish they would question their actions.

I'm not knowledgeable enough about the Masons or various other orders to speak for someone else, but I sure would like to hear from the men and women involved to answer some questions for me:

  • I understand from some sources that Masonry has a salvation plan. Why would a Christian need any other plan for salvation outside that offered by Christ?
  • If Masons take an "oath", aren't the Christian members going against what the Bible teaches about not making oaths?
  • Since so many things are secret in Freemasonry, doesn't that go against what the Bible teaches about doing things in secret?
  • Why would Christians want to be part of an organization that mixes the sacred and the profane? I've read that Aleister Crowley (the Satanist) was a Mason. 
  • If Masons make the same oaths, and members include people who believe in and worship other gods, why would a Christian make that oath?
  • And who or what exactly is that oath made to? It's not made to the God of the Bible - not if Satanists, Hindus, and all other religious practitioners are making the same oath.
  • Do you really believe that this is a Christian organization? (And I am asking this is all sincerity.)
Understand that I'm not being snarky. I'm truly curious about this subject. It has always bothered me that my father died before I could know for sure that he had renounced his involvement with the Masons. It really bothers me to think that there are men and women who profess to be Christians, but are involved with any organization that requires taking an oath and/or serving something other than the God of the Bible.

One of the resources I found when I was writing this post is here on Got Questions. Like them, I'm not accusing anyone of anything. For me, I simply am asking some questions of people who might be involved with these organizations.

I know that, for years after I became a Christian, I continued to be involved with things I shouldn't have been. It wasn't that I was willfully disobeying or dishonoring God; I was simply ignorant.

Until very recently, I followed astrology and I would pay mind to the "sign" I was born under. Some years back, I went with a friend to see a man who performed "spirit writing". 

When I started studying the Bible, I began to realize that I was doing many things that are offensive to God. I think that Satan must have loved how I fell into so many traps that I took as being "just entertainment" or "harmless". 

Probably the sweetest honey set in traps for a Christian has to be our own excuses for the things we do. That or our innate rebellion. Think about how many times you or someone you know has responded to warnings about sin with the following attitudes:
  • My Mama (or Daddy or... whoever) always did it and I know she was saved.
  • It's got a Christian theme, so it's okay. We're not doing it the way the 'world' does it.
  • It's got nothing to do with church or religion; it's just a social thing.
  • I let my kids do it because I don't want them to feel left out.
  • It's not as bad as some of the other (movies, TV shows, music, etc).
  • I'd wouldn't have any fun if I waited for something 'Christian' to do.
  • How can it be bad if other Christians are doing it?
  • Show me where the Bible says it's wrong.
I don't have all the answers to anyone's objections over different things. I do have a Bible and a respect for God though. When I learn that I am doing something wrong, I always wish I had known sooner. And when I do know, I want to stop. Immediately.

Those of us who want to truly follow Jesus need to be careful. We need to stop jumping to join in with every group that comes along without examining what out involvement means. 

There are all kinds of fraternities and sororities and lodges and clubs. We don't think about what it means for us spiritually to join up with things. All we see is that we want to belong. We like being part of things. We want to be included and in the loop of things. 

It's as though we can't stand to just sit things out. If something is overtly non-Christian, we will figure out a way to 'Christianize' it. As if we can take something demonic or blasphemous and just strain out the worst of it, then drink it up and call it good. Why do we want anything to do with it at all?

In the world but not of the world
We don't think enough about the things we get ourselves involved in. So many churches don't even point us to the 'right' and 'wrong' things that we might be doing. Some of the churches actually promote things that no Christian should be messing with. I hear all the time about churches teaching Yoga and having classes for the members. 

And I can tell you right now, I know that there are going to be some people hating me for this post. I am going to hear it from even friends and some family members about their involvement with frats and sororities and other things. That's okay. You don't have to cuss me out because I've been blasted about all this before. I'm just sharing my feelings on the subject and asking that you examine your own heart against what the Bible says. I'm not trying to set up a stumbling block for anyone. All I'm saying is that we need to start thinking about things.

We cannot blindly follow anyone. We need to read and study the Bible for ourselves and pray for understanding and discernment. I'm really blessed to attend a church where our pastor feeds the flock well and always includes the Bible as the first and main ingredient. Not every church is so blessed.

So, please, start praying on your activities and involvement with anything. I don't care if your church or pastor is doing this thing or that thing. The Bible teaches about false teachers and false teachings. 
For there shall arise false christs and false prophets and shall show great signs and wonders, insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. (Matthew 24:24) [my underline]
We can't follow anyone but Jesus. Not our parents, siblings, pastors, best friends - no one but Christ. When it's time to face God, Jesus is the only one who will matter.

Peace
--Free

No comments: