Translate This Blog

Saturday, May 30, 2015

**GOOD READ** Chronicles of the Host

Since I do a lot of product reviews on my Being Free blog, I thought it would be fun to do reviews of a different sort here.

I love reading books (or hearing audio books), but the choices for good reads are limited for anyone who wants to filter out certain things. I prefer good mystery or suspense novels; plots centering on prophecy or other Bible teachings; humor; and most non-fiction, documentary type stuff. (I'm not big on romance or formulaic, boilerplate type fiction.)

My main gripe with most Christian fiction (or other "clean" fiction) are poorly developed plots and badly written stories. It seems that really good writers are like any other top talent: they go "mainstream" or sell out to write fiction I don't appreciate reading. Not that I'm their main concern, but I think you know what I mean.

There are authors who write great fiction without including foul language, adulterous sex, or other things that promote or agree with sinful activity. Two of my all-time favorites are Frank E. Perretti and the author of Chronicles of the Host: D. Brian Shafer.

Chronicles is the best series I have ever read. The story line is captivating even though, as a Christian who has read the Bible through, I know how the story ends.

The main characters as well as the basic plot line in the series is given away in the title: Chronicles of the Host. As in. the Host of Heaven. The story is told from the P.O.V. of the Host angels so it includes their dealings with Satan's army of demons.

The series includes, in order:

I have read all but Volume 5, which was published in 2009 while Volume 4 was published in 2004. When I found out that I had missed that last volume, I waited to see if all the books would be done in audio book format. Since they still haven't, I'm planning on reading the last volume asap.

You can read an excerpt here at at Google Books. I hope that you like it enough to buy the book. I'd love to see this author get more support. Maybe one day the series will be out on audio.

I haven't read it yet, but D. Brian Shafer has written another book: Nova Fannum

Peace
--Free

No comments: