Translate This Blog

Friday, May 08, 2015

One Way or Many Paths?

A very well-known former daytime talk show host once argued with an audience member about the very core of Christianity.

The host advocated that there are "many ways" to God. The audience member stood by her belief that there is only one way to the Father. The host refused to be budged from her own logic and, when the audience member flat out asked, "What about Jesus?", the host responded, "What about Jesus?"

Image result for wait what just happened
Wait.
What?
I never did understand why the host couldn't understand the audience member's exasperation. After all, the host grew up being familiar with the Bible and, so I would think, she understands the basic message of the Gospel: "No way to the Father except through Me." Jesus's own words.
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John 14:6 ESV (my emphasis)
If I can remember it correctly, I believe the audience member cited this verse to the talk show host. The host replied (in support of people who believe otherwise) that maybe that was true for some people, but that other people might be on another path to God.

I might not have everything exact as it was said during that show, but you get the drift.


So many people agree with the views of the talk show host. I personally know people who share her view and, no matter how often I share what the Word of God has to say on the subject, they won't budge.

I'm not confused by people who just definitely do not believe in God. What baffles me is how people believe in God in addition to other gods.
(source)

I know one person very well who will, in one breath, speak of God and, in the next breath, speak of some other god. It's as if they don't realize that, if they actually do believe in God, then there is no other "God".  There might be other 'gods', but no other God.

My impulse is always to shout out to them: "PICK A LANE!" 

I can respect someone who 'drives' on one side or the other but, boy, I can't stand it when someone wants to cruise the middle of the road.

It's especially bothersome to me when I hear someone claim to have been "brought up" in a Bible-based church, yet they want to ignore the Gospel. The Bible is very clear about the way to God:

  • And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.” Acts 4:12 
  • “Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few. Matthew 7:13-14 
  • “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. Matthew 7:15
  • Then there is the verse that even most non-believing football fans know:
    “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16
    So, how can someone like that host even ask the question: "What about Jesus?"

    It's not "What about Jesus?" but that Jesus is what it's about.

    Actually, I shouldn't be that surprised or puzzled by people's attitudes. I was just talking about the long con game that the Enemy has been running on us.

    (source)
    What I have decided is that, yes, there are many paths - they just don't lead to God. Some people are at least honest enough to 'pick a lane', and directly follow either Christ the Enemy. Then there are the folks who follow the Enemy without even realizing where they are going.
    (source)

    Maybe some people think they are following one god or another while, all along, they are following the Enemy while he is wearing one of his many disguises.

    One thing is for sure, we will all end up finding out whether we made the correct choice. I choose Jesus.

    Peace
    --Free

    No comments: